Friday, February 26, 2010

Sri Lanka: Troops remanded over rape

Six soldiers, produced before court for allegedly molesting a minor in Batticaloa last week have been remanded after an identification parade was held before the Batticaloa Magistrate Courts, Army Spokesperson Major General Prasad Samarasinghe said.

Military Spokesperson Major General Prasad Samarasingha speaking to Daily Mirror Online said that as advised by local Police in accordance with legal procedures, the Army detachment presented 48 soldiers, including those six who were present at the specific location to Court for identification.

However, the victim was able to identify one soldier during the parade.
When the case was taken up before the Batticaloa Magistrate’s Court, the judge, considering submissions forwarded by the Police remanded all those six suspects until March 3.

A parallel Military Police investigation is also underway on a directive issued by Army Commander Lieutenant General Jagath Jayasuriya, Major General Samarasingha said.

The parents of the victim had lodged a complaint at the Eravur Police three days after their nine year old daughter was allegedly raped by soldiers on February 14.

The police, after lodging the complaint had referred the victim to the Judicial Medical Officer (JMO) whose report is yet to be released to Court.

© Daily Mirror

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]
Bookmark and Share

No comments:

Post a Comment

© 2009 - 2014 Journalists for Democracy in Sri Lanka

  © Blogger template 'Fly Away' by 2008

Back to TOP