Thursday, January 28, 2010

"I was forced to remove Competent Authority from state media": Polls Chief



“The two state media organisations did not comply with the relevant regulations of the election. Although the two heads of those media houses assured the Competent Authority (CA) appointed by me that they would comply with the CA's guidelines, it simply did not happen forcing me to remove him,” said the Elections Commissioner Dayananda Dissanayake yesterday.

Addressing a media briefing last evening at the Elections Secretariat at Rajagiriya to announce that Mahinda Rajapaksa had been elected as the President of the country according to the provisions of the Constitution, the polls chief spoke of instances where several regional leaders had disturbed his staff; District Returning Officers being unable to take control; several Deputy Elections Commissioners coming under verbal abuse; election officials of one polling station being chased out, etc.


“Of the 22 candidates who contested the presidential election that was held on the 26th of January 2010, President Mahinda Rajapaksa has secured 6,015,934 votes. This is more than half, more than 50 per cent of the votes cast at the election and according to the provisions of the Constitution, he has been elected as the President of the country,” said the polls chief.

“We note now several regional leaders of political parties have been disturbing us. They came into polling centres with their supporters and disturb our officers. This is not a good precedent to go by.

“I do not think that this is something that is motivated by the hierarchy of these parties. This is something that is done by these elements out of their own choice. There have been several instances where my Distinct Retuning Officers were unable to take control of such situations. At the same time several of my deputy elections commissioners have had to face severe inconveniences and have even come under severe verbal abuse.

“There was also one instance where election officials were chased out of the polling centre. I take this opportunity to state that these acts are very disappointing. This election was conducted according to the provision set out in the 17th Amendment to the Constitution.

“One thing I noticed during this election is that the two state media organisations did not pay much attention to comply with the relevant regulations of this election. Therefore, I was forced to appoint a competent authority for this purpose but these two institutions did not pay any attention to his recommendations.

“I would like say that the heads these two institutions met with the Competent Authority and had promised to comply with his recommendations. However, I would like to say that the heads of these two institutions met wit the Competent Authority and had promised to comply with his recommendations.

“We believed that they would act accordingly but this did not happen. Therefore I was forced to cancel this appointment and treat it as something that would not work and had to continue with my duties.

“Furthermore on several instances, I observed how many public sector institutions were acting without having identified what they should and should not be doing.

“I was also forced to face several hardships and inconveniences during this election. I was to retire in 2002 but I am still here. Although I had to work with much mental pressure, I was able to successfully carry out my responsibilities to the letter.

“I earnestly request to be removed from this position and I feel that it would not be right for me to continue in this office after this election. I cannot function under these conditions. They are not conducive for my health. If something were to happen to me, it is only I who has to deal with it and so therefore, I have no indention of continuing under these circumstances,” said the Elections Commissioner.

© News First

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]
Bookmark and Share

No comments:

Post a Comment

© 2009 - 2014 Journalists for Democracy in Sri Lanka

  © Blogger template 'Fly Away' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP