Friday, October 23, 2009

Almost 30,000 lost jobs in first quarter

By Gihan de Chickera and Yohan Perera - Almost 30,000 people have lost their jobs in the first quarter of this year, the government said in parliament yesterday.

According to a Labour Ministry response tabled in the House, a survey conducted by the Labour Department had revealed that 29,159 jobs had been lost in various fields in the country during the first three months of 2009.

The Ministry said the government together with the International Labour Organization (ILO) would implement an unemployment benefit scheme to people who lost their jobs due to the global economic crisis.

The tabled answer added that the ministry planned to implement a re-employment programme by registering persons on the Sri Lanka job net.

Earlier, the opposition asked if the government admitted that as stated by the ILO 192,000 jobs had been lost in the first quarter of 2009.

The government rejected this figure, and said according to a Labour Department survey only 29,159 jobs had been lost in the same period.

© Daily Mirror

Bookmark and Share

No comments:

Post a Comment

© 2009 - 2014 Journalists for Democracy in Sri Lanka

  © Blogger template 'Fly Away' by 2008

Back to TOP